Waking Up to the Smell of Smoke

A single mother living with her children and five-month-old granddaughter woke up in the early morning hours to the smell of smoke. When she got up to investigate, she found the kitchen was filled with smoke. She quickly woke the household and got everyone safely out of the home. Sadly, the home was completely destroyed. It was later discovered that the fire was caused by a short in the microwave oven. Fortunately, the emergency response service provided by a CFC-supported charity was there to stand in the gap until her insurance company could respond. They were able to provide financial assistance so that the family could purchase clothing, formula for the infant, diapers, and any other immediate needs that they had.

Cause: Human Services